Eight months into bringing this company online -it has changed so much and there is still so much to be done! I started with using the beautiful stone beads I had accumulated over 20 years of attending gem and mineral shows. As I learned more about the business of gemstones, I migrated from wanting simply - and it really is not simple - to know where my rocks came from to wanting to ensure that the people who touch these stones along their journey have a living wage, safe working conditions, access to school, and some environmental safeguards. Not an easy task in the jewelry industry - or, as we know from frequent news stories - for many of our modern products that we take for granted!
I believe that curious and conscious women do want to know what makes each stone special. This blog will explore topics such as
- messages that the minerals bring as to how they were formed and how the Earth works
- the history and lore of gemstones
- social, economic and political issues associated with materials from the Earth
- standards of how gems are manipulated through the trade route
- aspects of environmental sustainability
- fair trade
- and more....
I am currently, as of October, 2015, labeling the jewelry with the level of 'fair trade' for each stone.